Provenance is looking for an experienced Systems Architect to work with our talented product team to help design, configure, and implement our software-as-a-service product with businesses and partners.
We are looking for people with an interest in new technologies and in making a positive impact on people and planet at work! Sharp organisation and conceptualisation skills with the ability to self-evaluate and adapt efficiently and a lean, test-driven approach to solving problems is a must. This a great opportunity to join a growing social impact orientated tech startup and work on projects that solve important problems.
We are committed to growing a diverse team with equal opportunities for all. A handful of us work remote from within the UK, and from other cities in Europe. The Product team is agile, working in sprints and in close collaboration with the rest of the company.
Provenance empowers brands to increase trust, using revolutionary technologies for greater supply chain transparency. Our software enables businesses to bring the origin, journey and social and environmental impact of products to the point of sale. At Provenance, we envision a future where every great product comes with accessible, verifiable information about the people, places and materials behind its creation, helping us all make positive choices about the things we buy. More on our mission here.
The System Architect Role includes:
- Working with researchers and business analysts across multiple projects with global businesses and organisations to design implementations and customisations of the core Provenance platform and the necessary system integrations to enable it
- Leading on the definition of a shared technical and architectural approach for how client and partner data systems integrate with our blockchain and web infrastructure
- Generating the necessary documentation, including diagrams, to communicate current and future state architectures to colleagues, clients and partners of all levels of technical understanding
- Taking an active role in stakeholder workshops with client organisations and data / technical partners; often as the only technical participant
- Defining key data elements across Provenance systems including documentation of change (of state / value), validation, verification and sharing protocols
- Developing complete data models- supply chain data schema
- Based on the schemas and solution designs, developing incremental (and new where required) code to deliver documented technical system functions and behaviours.
- Developing the design of Provenance’s overall solution – including interfaces / triggers, visibility models, access control, security provisions etc.
- Working on acceptance testing of developed code / systems – test specification and documentation
- Developing exemplar packaging data based on the outputs from research phase and use to synthesise multiple “full cycle” tests of the provided prototype to demonstrate technical feasibility of the PoC Document results.
- Supporting pilots- using prototypes and modelling data
- Working with the product team to develop an in-depth knowledge of the existing systems and taking an active role in developing our technology to support the growth and ambition of the business
Skills we are looking for:
- Ability to create documentation frameworks and specifications
- Experience designing and architecting scalable, web-based systems that solve real business problems
- Good understanding of the various architectures and components of modern, scalable web application stacks
- Experience building blockchain-based systems is a plus, but not essential (familiarity with Ethereum is particularly advantageous)
- Deep technical understanding of commonly-used data storage approaches (e.g. RDBMS, document-oriented, content-addressed) and the movement of data around and between cloud-hosted systems (e.g. APIs, Webhooks, Integration platforms)
- Having an open, vendor-neutral approach to selecting the most appropriate technologies and take a proactive approach to the adoption of valuable industry standards that can simplify the communication of data between systems
- Being familiar with blockchain technology and have the ability and interest to develop a deeper understanding of distributed technology applications and capabilities
- Great communication skills: you will need to communicate complex technical concepts and solutions to team mates, customers and our wider engaged community of organisations and individuals
- Ability to pick up new ideas, concepts and technologies quickly
- Solid experience working in lean, iterative ways to create software from the ground up
- Experience working in supply chain businesses would be useful, but not essential
- Flexibility – ability to work across a multitude of cultures and types of business (e.g. corporates or start-ups)
- Keen to have a day job that’s creating positive impact on people and planet
- Belief in the potential for technology to help solve systemic problems
- Belief in the opportunities for public blockchains and new technologies to be a force for good
- Pragmatic approach to introducing open, distributed technology as a part of an established, growing technology business
- Open to new or unfamiliar technologies
- Active interest in technological developments
- Highly innovative projects
- Working directly with businesses and organisations trying to make global supply chains fairer and more sustainable
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working options (both location and times)
- Opportunities for global travel
- Team workshops and regular social events
- Training and development opportunities
- Employee share option program (so you can own a piece of the company!)
Submit your application via Workable here